Pages

Sunday, January 28, 2018

Crossfit Games Athlete, Jessica Griffith

I am excited to bring in our first of many Crossfit Athlete interviews with a great discussion with Crossfit Games Athlete Jessica Griffith.  In 2017 Jessica became a Games competitor and is currently preparing for her second year as a competitor.  I have included a link to her Crossfit Games page so you can view her impressive lifts and accomplishments.

Athletes: Pay attention to question 4, small choices throughout the day can make or break an athlete.  Keep building positive habits and soon they will pile up and create an unstoppable athlete.

https://games.crossfit.com/athlete/254313jessicas Crossfit Games bio

1. I am a Crossfit athlete. I got started when I graduated nursing school. I needed something to fill my free time and that is when my friend introduced me to Crossfit.

2. Because I love Crossfit so much, I can't really say there has been MAJOR struggles. But some obstacles I've faced is being disciplined enough to focus on m diet and water intake to achieve optimal performance. Another obstacle is learning how to balance training with family and social interactions. It is so important to be focused on the goal at hand--but to not take it so seriously that you miss out on the most important things in life--your loving and precious relationships with people.

3.My short term goal is to qualify for my second Crossfit Games. Long term goals include being a person that people look to for advice, guidance, inspiration, and motivation to be the best person they can be.

4. Advice I would give a young athlete is, focus on the small day-to-day choices. The small choices make the big picture. For example, carrying around a water bottle with you and constantly filling it with water to keep yourself hydrated. Choosing to take the extra 15 minutes in a day to stretch your muscles after a workout. Choosing portion control opposed to over indulging on your meal. All of these small choices made day after day eventually evolve into months and years of good choices which will then produce a magnificent product--a healthy, strong, sturdy athlete.

5. Nutrition plays a huge role in training. I count my macronutrients (protein, carbs, and fats). So everyday I have a set number to hit of each. These numbers have been calculated according to my height and goals for performance. Your body needs a certain amount of energy to achieve certain volumes of training. When I find I'm consuming too much sugar, I'm not able to perform nearly as good as I do when I am conscious of my sugar intake. Same thing with water. If I neglect to drink water, I am not able to perform to my best ability. I find wholesome nutrition to be crucial in top performers.





No comments:

Post a Comment