Pages

Friday, March 2, 2018

Olympic Runner Mohammed Ahmed

Coming to us today is Canadian Record Holder and 2016 Olympic 4th Place finisher in the 5000m, Mohammed Ahmed.  Ahmed is currently preparing for the 2018 Commonwealth  Games scheduled for April, which will include many of the other athletes we have recently spoken with.  In Question 2 you will see how the training never stops, once one competition is over it is time to get your mind and body ready for the next.

Good luck in April Mohammed, and thanks for speaking with us!

1: How did you get started in your Sport?
I was introduced to the sport mostly through television; watching the Golden League circuit, world championships and Olympics. I also got some exposure to it on track and field days in middle school, however I didn’t develop a passion or even consider it something I could be good at until my sophomore year of high school.

2. What is your current goal?
Currently my focus is geared towards the Commonwealth Games scheduled for the start of April with the goal of racing to my fitness and giving the best performance my body is capable of. After that I’ll hit the racing circuit—primarily in the Diamond League to work on my racing skills for the 2019 world championships and 2020 Olympic Games

3. What advice would you give a young athlete?
Have faith in yourself and focus on incremental improvements. Enjoy the process and pursuit of the goal.

4. How big of a role is nutrition when it comes to your training?
Nutrition is a really important component of my daily training and a big part of my success so far. As the Somalis say: “caloolbaa cagaa sidaa” the legs are carried by the stomach” meaning it’s important to properly fuel your body. To not only consume something but to consume something that gives proper nutrients to your body to provide energy and maintain good health. I don’t fixate on my nutrition, but I try to aim for a consistent and moderate diet; one without too much restraints and too little discipline.





No comments:

Post a Comment