Pages

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Six time All American Russ Winger

 Coming to us today is a SIX TIME ALL AMERICAN Shot Put and Discus Thrower, Russ Winger.  With an impressive 21.29m Shot Put and 66.04m Discus it is no wonder he is a University of Idaho Hall-of-Famer.  He made it to the 2008, 2012, and 2016 Olympic Qualifers and was also a 2015 IAAF World Championship Team Member with the best American showing in Beijing.  From watching Russ train online I’ve found his view on fitness for throwing very impressive.  In question 4 you’ll see the importance of training like an athlete.  To many throwers neglect speed training, balance drills, and anything that isn’t heavy only to find themselves lacking in the circle.  Don’t leave room for weak points, train everything.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to speak with us Russ!

1. How did you get started in your sport?
I had played other sports growing up, but never had a chance to try track and field, so the spring of my junior year of high school, I switched over from baseball for something new. As a bigger kid, I naturally gravitated towards the throws, and I enjoyed seeing quick improvement.
2. How do you overcome obstacles in your training/career?
I tried to keep everything in perspective and understand why I was doing certain things in training to make the best plan for me. I always just tried to do the best I could with what I had. There were also times in my career when I had to ask for help. Developing a good support system is critical to overcoming bigger obstacles.
3. What is your favorite and/or most important exercise for your sport?
I don’t think you can separate one exercise from the rest of training as being more beneficial than the others. A good training plan is a combination of exercises you’re good at and you like, and exercises that you’re not good at and can make major improvements in. Both are important. I truly do not have a favorite.
4. What is one aspect of training you feel everyone needs to do?
Anything and everything that promotes general athleticism; being an athlete first and a thrower second.
5. How big of a role is nutrition when it comes to your training?
I’d split nutrition into two categories: General/overall nutrition and training-specific nutrition. Overall nutrition encompasses hydration, timing of meals, and general quality of food. For me, that category was most important, especially early on in my career. Consistency is probably the most important thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment